Day in history for January 27, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Acts to charter the Mississippi Railroad Bridge Company at Rock Island and to establish a state road between Rock Island and Peoria have passed the Illinois legislature.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The Rev. J.K. Findley of Central Presbyterian Church preached this morning on ``The Only Hope of the Reformed Man.''
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The grand jury reported 115 indictments in circuit court, these being inclusive of the indictment of James Darnell, Rock Island chief of police, who was charged with failing to take action against law violators. Mayor Knox was one of the witnesses. The chief's bond was set at $1,500.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Dr. Daniel F. Paul was elected president of the medical and surgical staff of St. Anthony's Hospital.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- The piano situation in Moline public schools is becoming acute. On the basis of a report submitted to Dr. Alex Jardine, superintendent of schools, by the music department, 24 pianos situated in various schools are beyond repair.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Louisa Hott and Doris Borzick, East Moline, share a disturbing problem, rust-colored water. They brought their problem before the city council. They placed a jar full of the dirty water in front of finance committee members. The committee voted unanimously to allocate $8,500 to reroute water lines at the end of 27th Ave. Ct., a dead-end street.
Back: Available days in January 2003