Day in history for January 22, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The citizens of Rock Island and vicinity are requested to meet at the courthouse next Saturday evening to devise a plan and adopt measures for erection of a hotel, which for size and accommodations, shall be worthy of our rapidly increasing city.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The temperature registered at the Argus thermometer at 7 o'clock this morning was 36 degrees above zero.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- It was announced a new enterprise, the Joseph Rosenfield Skirt Company, will be operated in connection with the Rock Island Regalia Company.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island High cagers defeated Savanna 23 to 19 for their first victory on Savanna's court since start of rivalry between the two schools.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Eddie McCreight, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert McCreight, Aledo, who has been on duty in Korea for much of the time the past three years, was one of the Navy men who appeared on a recent television show illustrating the subject, ``This is Korea.'' He is one of five sons of the McCreights who have been in extensive Army or Navy service.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Kathy Sha-boom, the elephant whose annual birthday parties draw hundreds of children to Niabi Zoo, is going to lose part of her ears and tail. The 13-year-old favorite of area children wandered outside on a cold night in mid-December and ended up with a bad case of frostbite.
Back: Available days in January 2003