Day in history for January 17, 2003

1853 -- 150 years ago
The Rock Island City Council adopted an ordinance dividing the city into three wards.

1878 -- 125 years ago
Because some boys who took temperance pledges at a recent public meeting got intoxicated, Charles W. Skinner, head of the executive committee of the temperance movement, announced hereafter no boy or girl would be allowed to take the pledge unless vouched for by adults or personally known by the officers.

1903 -- 100 years ago
G.H. Baumbach was installed last evening by Dr. J.F. Myers as captain of Post No. 41, Fraternal Army of America.

1928 -- 75 years ago
Rock Island is ready to welcome thousands of Illinois Agriculture Association members to the 13th annual convention of the group which opens tomorrow.

1953 -- 50 years ago
Two employees at Farmall Works in Rock Island were injured when the tractors they were driving off an assembly line to a warehouse toppled in soft ground and threw them off. The mishaps were identical but occurred 15 minutes apart. The injured are Gilbert Davies, 53, Geneseo and William C. Crane, 49, Moline.

1978 -- 25 years ago
Rock Island County, faced with a renewed demand to return $17,995 it received in federal flood-fighting aid in 1975, is pleading for more time to reconstruct ``missing'' records justifying receipt of the money.

Back: Available days in January 2003



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)