Day in history for December 9, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Sheriff Alex F. Swander today listed the homes and hotels in the various precincts of the county where he will meet the taxpayers to receive tax payments.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island County farmers get $4 a hundred pounds for their hogs; Whiteside County farmers are able to get only $3.75.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Officials of Modern Woodmen from 33 states are conferring with Head Clerk C.W. Hawes in Rock Island.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Peggy Montgomery of Rock Island is starring in the movie ``Hoof Marks'' at the Majestic.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Moline Police Chief Harry D. Fromme has been appointed as chief state automobile investigator and will assume his job after Jan. 12, it was announced today by State Senator Charles F. Carpentier, East Moline, secretary of state-elect. The appointment is the first made by Carpentier to any of the larger jobs under supervision of his office. Chief Fromme will succeed Calvin Gordon of Danville.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- You might say Pat Orman, Davenport, is a member of the ``Icy Rider'' gang. Orman, an avid motorcycle enthusiast, figures he's mastered riding in snow and mud on his bike, so now he's taken to ice riding. The biker admits he's had his ups and downs riding over the top of frozen bodies of water, but he thinks he's got a few things going for him, like 500 sheet-metal screws in his tires.
Back: Available days in December 2002