Day in history for December 5, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- A public meeting was held at Henderson, Knox County, to plan a railroad between Henderson and Keithsburg, Mercer County. It was stated that the Mississippi can be crossed by rail better at Keithsburg than at any other point.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- William Smith, head waiter at the Rock Island House, attacked and injured the cook. Smith escaped across the ice to Davenport before police could get him.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- J.E. Smith of Kansas City was appointed roundhouse foreman of the Rock Island Lines here, succeeding Claude Arnold.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Two youths drowned in 15 feet of water in the lagoon of Lincoln Park, at about 38th Street and 9th Avenue, Rock Island, when they fell through the ice while skating. Seven people have drowned in the lagoon in the last 15 years.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Plans for a new fireproof warehouse were already under way today following a blaze which leveled a storage shed of the Seibel Material and Erection Company in Riverdale last night. Investigation was started today to determine the extent of loss, which was estimated to exceed $12,000.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- A group of Quad-Cities investors will offer to buy the Oklahoma City Triple-A baseball franchise and move it to the Quad-Cities. The Oklahoma City 89ers team is the top farm club of the major league Philadelphia Phillies.
Back: Available days in December 2002