Day in history for December 4, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Colonel John Dickson of Camden Mills (Milan) has given the editor of The Argus a barrel of his Extra flour. He knows how to do the handsome thing, knowing that an editor can write better on a full stomach than an empty one.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Crowds of people called at the John B. Hawley home on Moline Avenue, near Elm Street, Rock Island, to congratulate him on his appointment as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. A. Mosenfelder entertained the Rock Island High School football squad at a banquet in their home. Their son, Arthur, plays right end on the team.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Daniel W. Custer, a Civil War veteran and second cousin of General Custer of the Indian wars, died.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island Arsenal has manufactured many items during its 90-year history but today a new product topped the list, a 9-pound baby boy. Mark Del Stevens was born in an auto just outside the Arsenal Medical Center. His parents were married last March 1 on that nationally-televised Bride and Groom show.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Approximately $2,152 in donations has been collected for the Coal Valley Fire Protection District's ambulance service. The money is to be matched by township federal revenue sharing, and given to the fire protection district to lower or eliminate the $13,350 tax levied for ambulance service.
Back: Available days in December 2002