Day in history for December 21, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Just call at Porter's and see the real Santa Claus descending from the chimney.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- The action of the county board in forcing each township to care for its own poor people is being widely discussed and criticized.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- ``A Hoosier Daisy'' is the play now being staged at the Illinois Theater.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- At a regional meeting in Stronghurst with officials of western Illinois, Governor Len Small assured Rock Island County that state routes there will be paved at an early date.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- The Quad-Cities will have one representative in ``Holiday on Ice'' when it comes to the Rock Island Armory for an 8-day stand under auspices of the Rock Island Optimist Club. He is Wayne Thompson, vocalist and master of ceremonies, who was born in Moline. This is Thompson's third year with the ice show.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Glenna and Burton Liedtke, East Moline, will get at least one Christmas wish this year. The Liedtkes, both 55, were released from Lutheran Hospital in time to spend the holiday at home. Mrs. Liedtke had been in the hospital for five weeks recovering from a diabetes-related illness, and her husband was admitted two weeks ago for treatment of a broken hip. The Liedtkes are planning a small family Christmas celebration, just the two of them and their 23-year-old son, David.
Back: Available days in December 2002