Day in history for December 11, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- A physician speaking to teachers advanced the theory that pure air would be healthful in classrooms. Every effort is made in schools to keep new air out and foul air in; no wonder half the people die before they are 21, the doctor said.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- George Henry, Second Avenue grocer, was presented with a gold-headed cane by his friends on his 43rd birthday anniversary.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Anna Moore, daughter of the late Gilpin Moore, was married to Holly Spear, Chicago businessman.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- The filling in of the dangerous ravine in Lincoln Park, Rock Island, where seven people have drowned, will be demanded at a meeting of Seventh Ward residents tonight.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Because of the growing population in north Davenport and its predicted further expansion, the city faces an estimated outlay of $3,592,000 for additional sewer facilities within the next half-century. The report also recommended that the present $1-a-year understanding that Davenport has in handling Bettendorf's sewage be changed.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Christmas comes in June and Easter in December at Lusk Fresh Pak Candy Co., Moline. The candy company at 2519 4th Ave. begins packaging Christmas goodies in June to have orders filled by Nov. 1 for the holiday season. In December, Easter baskets are moving off the packing line to be ready when spring rolls around.
Back: Available days in December 2002