Day in history for October 9, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Robert Maclom And Co. has bought the livery horses and carriages of D.S. Robinson and will run a hack three times a day between Moline and Rock Island.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Articles of incorporation of the Rock Island And Peoria Railroad Company were filed.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- H.E. Casteel was elected president of the Rock Island Baseball Association.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- The Illinois Commerce Commission granted the Tri-City Railway Company the right to discontinuance sale of 7 tickets for 50 cents and 15 tickets for $1, while retaining the present 10-cent cash fare and 3 tokens for 25 cents.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- The Quad-Cities tomorrow doff their community hats to a railroad, the Rock Island Lines, which moves into its second century with all locomotives still pointed toward progress. A train of floats and marching units will parade through downtown Rock Island, starting at 2:15 p.m. The celebration will also include the dedication of a stone shaft at the Rock Island Lines 31st Street station. The plaque commemorates the first crossing of the Mississippi River by a railroad bridge.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Overlook, the Moline mansion of the late Mrs. Charles Deere Wiman, will become a privately-owned community center under plans being mapped by officials of the Butterwork Memorial Trust. The mansion, at 817 11th Ave., was willed to the trust when Mrs. Wiman died in June 1976.
Back: Available days in October 2002