Day in history for October 4, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- John Root was found guilty in Knox County court of manslaughter and was sentenced to two years in the penitentiary. Captain Root murdered Eric Janson, leader of the Bishop Hill colony, about two years ago in the courthouse at Cambridge.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- W.H. Dart and Charles Metzgar left today for Colorado to sojourn until next spring.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- H.A. Lohse was elected business agent of the carpenters' union.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Governor Andrew Anderson, head of the district Rotarian group, spoke at the Rock Island Rotary lunch today.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- The Fred Keppy farm, northwest of Davenport, reportedly has been selected as the site for a 600-rental-home project sponsored by a Wichita, Kan., firm. The 169-acre site, Ridgeview Park, is located between Harrison Street and Buttermilk Road and about a quarter of a mile north of the junction of Harrison and Division streets.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Two suppressed indictments made public today accuse former Rock Island County Sheriff Joe Schneider of theft and unauthorized tampering with a motor vehicle. If convicted, Schneider could receive up to a year in jail and $1,000 fine on each count in the indictments. Schneider, 72, resigned as sheriff one week ago while a grand jury considered allegations that he advanced the odometer on his car to justify mileage claims against the county.
Back: Available days in October 2002