Day in history for October 4, 2002

1852 -- 150 years ago
John Root was found guilty in Knox County court of manslaughter and was sentenced to two years in the penitentiary. Captain Root murdered Eric Janson, leader of the Bishop Hill colony, about two years ago in the courthouse at Cambridge.

1877 -- 125 years ago
W.H. Dart and Charles Metzgar left today for Colorado to sojourn until next spring.

1902 -- 100 years ago
H.A. Lohse was elected business agent of the carpenters' union.

1927 -- 75 years ago
Governor Andrew Anderson, head of the district Rotarian group, spoke at the Rock Island Rotary lunch today.

1952 -- 50 years ago
The Fred Keppy farm, northwest of Davenport, reportedly has been selected as the site for a 600-rental-home project sponsored by a Wichita, Kan., firm. The 169-acre site, Ridgeview Park, is located between Harrison Street and Buttermilk Road and about a quarter of a mile north of the junction of Harrison and Division streets.

1977 -- 25 years ago
Two suppressed indictments made public today accuse former Rock Island County Sheriff Joe Schneider of theft and unauthorized tampering with a motor vehicle. If convicted, Schneider could receive up to a year in jail and $1,000 fine on each count in the indictments. Schneider, 72, resigned as sheriff one week ago while a grand jury considered allegations that he advanced the odometer on his car to justify mileage claims against the county.

Back: Available days in October 2002

Local events heading

  Today is Monday, April 21, the 111th day of 2014. There are 254 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The female sex seems to have gone crazy on the subject of dry goods. When high prices keep them from increasing their wardrobes, they turn to stealing. Yard goods, hats, shoes and other items are being picked up and carried home.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Members of Everts Commandery No. 18, Knights Templar, under Commander H.C. Cleaveland, marched from the Masonic Temple to Trinity Episcopal Church for their annual Easter services.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Nate Hultgren pitched the Augustana College baseball team to a 10-3 victory over Carthage, striking out 11 men and allowing only four hits.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Marvel Leonhardi, a Rock Island High School senior, was the winner of an essay contest on advertising sponsored by The Argus and Advertising Age, a national advertising publication.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The Augustana College band drew a crowd of 1,200 people for its annual home concert in Centennial Hall. The size of the crowd was indicative of the fact the band is rapidly approaching the stature of the Augustana Choir.
1989 -- 25 years ago: A benefit to raise money for extracurricular activities in the Rock Island Milan School District will be April 27 at the Quad City Downs harness race track. People buying $17.50 tickets to the second annual "Night at the Quad City Downs" will be entitled to an evening of harness racing and dinner.

(More History)