Day in history for October 27, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The macadamized turnpike at the upper end of Rock Island is so broken and rough that it is a nuisance. Better a dirt road than macadam like that.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Fred Hass of Rock Island and the Argillo Works of Carbon Cliff have won contracts to help build the new penitentiary at Chester, Ill.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Burglars who broke into the Lothar Harms house took a gold watch and chain and $30.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- The Mississippi Valley baseball league will remain intact in 1928, President Hill said at a meeting of baseball leaders of eight cities.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- A Rock Island man sought police protection after he reported being threatened in an apparent carryover from moonshine activity of relatives in Arkansas. James Harris, who gave his address as 230 13th St., was quoted as saying the threats stem from several years ago when he reported the illegal liquor activities of his uncle and several others in Arkansas.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- An exclusive new club is being formed at Orion High School. Prospective members of the ``Casted Many'' club must have had an unlucky ``break'' to join. Nine students at Orion High School are currently in casts or on crutches due to injuries received in a variety of ways. Members are dropped from the club when their casts are removed.
Back: Available days in October 2002