Day in history for October 23, 2002

1852 -- 150 years ago
The Whigs have nominated the following for county offices: J.H. Hatch, for sheriff; R.H. Andrews, for clerk of the circuit court; William Bailey, for county judge.

1877 -- 125 years ago
Colonel D.A. Ray is at the Harper House. He is traveling about the state trying to induce the people to vote $531,712.13 for completion of the new state house at Springfield. The Argus denounces the plan.

1902 -- 100 years ago
Joseph Fitzpatrick, known as ``the father of the courthouse,'' died in his Milan home. On April 28, 1893, he had introduced the resolution which led to the building of the present courthouse.

1927 -- 75 years ago
Five bands will take part in the Rock Island Mardi Gras celebration Saturday.

1952 -- 50 years ago
A spokesman for FE-UE Local 109 charged the Rock Island police department with ``officially attempting to break the Farmall strike,'' a claim that brought a firm and quick reply from Acting Chief Lawrence O. Jones. The police policy of maintaining order will continue.

1977 -- 25 years ago
A hungry dog apparently touched off a fire in a Moline home, but also saved his owner from perishing in the blaze. The fire at the Harold Davidson residence, 4911 52nd Ave., is believed to have started when the dog tried to reach a pan of food on the stove and turned on a gas burner. After the fire got started, the dog scratched on the bedroom door and woke Davidson up.

Back: Available days in October 2002



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, July 24, the 205th day of 2014. There are 160 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The Rev. R.J. Humphrey, once a clergyman in this city, was reported killed in a quarrel in New Orleans.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rock Island Citizens Improvement Association held a special meeting to consider the proposition of consolidating Rock Island and Moline.
1914 -- 100 years ago: The home of A. Freeman, 806 3rd Ave., was entered by a burglar while a circus parade was in progress and about $100 worth of jewelry and $5 in cash were taken.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The million dollar dredge, Rock Island, of the Rock Island district of United States engineers will be in this area this week to deepen the channel at the site of the new Rock Island-Davenport bridge.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The Argus "walked" to a 13-0 victory over American Container Corporation last night to clinch the championship of Rock Island's A Softball League at Northwest Douglas Park.
1989 -- 25 years ago: The Immediate Care Center emergency medical office at South Park Mall is moving back to United Medical Center on Sept. 1. After nearly six years in operation at the mall, Care Center employees are upset by UMC's decision. The center is used by 700 to 800 people each month.








(More History)