Day in history for September 9, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- ``Watch Tower'' is the name of a new lodge of the noble order of Odd Fellows. Officers elected are William Scherer, William Kale, Elton Cropper, William H. Powars, Fred S. Nichols and John R. Langley.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Jonas Bear has gone east to purchase his fall stock of ready-made clothing for his Rock Island store.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- J.F. Egan was nominated for the state senate and W.R. Moore for the Illinois House of Representatives at a Democratic Party county convention.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Raymond R. Walker, director of the Rock Island Y.M.C.A., was elected to the national council at the state convention.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Although 19 persons occupy 12 apartments in the Hillcrest apartment building, 1635 20th St., Rock Island, only one occupant was in the structure when a fire was discovered there at 9:50 o'clock last night. That person was aroused and escaped as the blaze gutted two apartments and caused estimated $10,000 damage.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Thanks to the loan of a radio from the Henry County Sheriff's Department, Cleveland police for the first time have two-way communication with the state police, sheriff's department and the Colona and Green Rock police; it was reported at the village board meeting. The radio was installed in the squad car for the use of the three marshals here.
Back: Available days in September 2002