Day in history for September 8, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Sons of Temperance societies of Davenport, Rock Island, Camden and Edgington will have a celebration Saturday. The Rock Island band will play. C.B. Waite, Esq., will give the address.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Buford Plow Works of Rock Island has won first premiums for iron-beam plows and walking cultivators at the Scott County fair.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- The Tri-City Railway Company will move its car shops from Davenport to Rock Island.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island community chest goal has been set at $50,000.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- A new $3,000 truck and fire-fighting equipment has been delivered to Reynolds. The new truck will replace one purchased in 1923. The new truck, which was paid for out of funds of the volunteer fire department, has pumps which can pump 300 gallons of water per minute for each 600 pounds per square inch of pressure.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Tenant representatives at four Rock Island housing projects today are scheduled to take cockroach complaints to the director, Warren Thiesen. Spokesman for the tenant's group, John Jones, said some 420 tenants have signed petitions which state, ``the present situation with cockroaches in our apartments is intolerable. Our buildings are roach infested.'' Thiesen said the four housing projects, Valley Homes, Arsenal Courts, Lincoln Homes, and Manor Homes, are sprayed about once a week.
Back: Available days in September 2002