Day in history for September 7, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Our old friend Edwin Coomes., Esq., is about commencing the publication of a weekly paper at Tipton, Iowa, to be called the Western Mirror.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- The raft boat Mollie Mohler struck a rock at Port Byron and went down in 10 feet of water.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- The Rockford baseball team defeated Rock Island, 8 to 4.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Seventeen YWCA girls swam across the Mississippi from Davenport to Rock Island.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Attempts to determine revenue-bond financing possibilities for a proposed swimming pool for Rock Island will be sought at a meeting of the council's swimming pool committee at 7 o'clock Thursday evening in the city hall. Mayor Melvin L. McKay, in calling the meeting, said he hopes to have at least one representative of a bond house at the meeting prepared to provide answers to the revenue-bond suggestion.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- The lights will go on again at the shuttered Capitol Theater in downtown Davenport when Broadway Theater League opens its 18th season there this fall. The Theater League has scheduled three national touring shows into the Capitol this fall and winter, beginning with the musical ``Bubbling Brown Sugar'' Oct. 10-12. Other shows on the agenda to date are ``The Robber Bridegroom'' Dec. 5-7 and the recent Broadway comedy hit ``Same Time, Next Year'' Feb. 13-15.
Back: Available days in September 2002