Day in history for September 29, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The Free Soil political party, meeting in Moline, passed a resolution which says that anyone who votes for the Republican or Democratic candidates, Scott or Pierce, for president will be sanctioning the blackest act of modern times.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- J.M. Beardsley has been appointed collector of internal revenue in place of Eph Wood.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Immanuel Lutheran congregation honored John F. Moeller at a surprise party and gave him a gold watch and chain. Mr. Moeller has rounded out 40 years of teaching in Immanuel's church school. He came to Rock Island in 1862.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- The Community Chest drive was extended today, because all persons have not been solicited. A total of $30,189.50 has been raised so far.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- The work begun with the building of the new Sacred Heart Catholic School will have a never-ending effect to the end of time, said the Rt. Rev. William E. Cousins, D.D., bishop of Peoria, at cornerstone laying ceremonies at the $500,000 Moline parochial school.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- A decision of the Regional Board of School Trustees rejecting a petition for detachment of a number of homes from the East Moline school systems was upheld by Circuit Judge David Mason. Two separate groups residing in less than 100 homes in southeast Moline, near 53rd St. and 34th Ave., filed a petition for detachment.
Back: Available days in September 2002