Day in history for September 20, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The Argus heartily endorses the Democratic party candidates: General Franklin Pierce of New Hampshire for president, William R. King of Alabama for vice president and Joel A. Matteson of Will County for governor.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Specimens of the ware made by the Rock Island Pottery Company have been sent to the Illinois State Fair at Freeport and also to the the Nebraska State Fair.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Tom A. Marshall of Keithsburg announced that under certain conditions he would make the race for congress.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Plans are being made for a county-wide initiation ceremony at a meeting of the Rock Island Eagles.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- William Sentner, 45, St. Louis, was taken into custody by the FBI at a Rock Island hotel in an FBI cleanup of 18 reputed midwest and west coast Communist leaders. Attorney General McGranery announced in Washington, D.C., that all are charged with conspiring to advocate overthrow of the government by force and violence.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Atkinson farmer Vernon Moens will be investing $100,000 to give mother nature a helping hand. Moens purchased the former Henry Van Herzeele Feed Mill, Atkinson, with plans to convert it into a bird seed manufacturing plant. ``I think bird seed production is going to be a growing business because all you have to do is provide the seed, mother nature will provide the birds.''
Back: Available days in September 2002