Day in history for September 18, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Iowa is claiming a population of 260,000. The 1850 census showed only 193,916 Iowa inhabitants.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Professor G.C. St. Clair of Chicago, a teacher of music, has decided to locate in Rock Island.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- ``Yon Yonson'' is the attraction tonight at the Illinois Theater.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Fall weather has arrived, with the temperature hitting 39 degrees.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- The case of the missing key to the city of Rock Island, presented to General Dwight D. Eisenhower, has been solved. The GOP presidential candidate received the key at the airport from Mayor Melvin L. McKay of Rock Island. The homemade walnut key first was placed on the floor of the general's special auto. The driver then placed it on the window ledge behind the rear seat so it wouldn't be damaged. When the general's address at the armory was concluded, excitement of all concerned caused the general's party to temporarily forget the key. The driver was called at his home at 2 a.m. by a secret service agent who was seeking the key.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- East Moline moved a step closer to hiring a meter maid and upgrading leased parking lots downtown after merchants argued the actions are necessary to improve business. Spokesman for the group, John Verona, said the cost of the meter maid would be paid through revenue derived from the $2 tickets.
Back: Available days in September 2002