Day in history for August 31, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The recent disclosures about the threatened revolution in Cuba are known to be sufficiently grave to have attracted the serious attention of the Spanish minister at Washington.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Five new gas lamps were put up yesterday and 13 naphtha lamps were put up today in Rock Island.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Sash and Door Works raised its capital stock from $50,000 to $100,000.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- A surf riding exhibition has been added to the feature attractions of the water pageant at the Rock Island County Agricultural and Industrial Exposition at Black Hawk's Watch Tower.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- The five Geifman markets in Rock Island, Moline and East Moline have merged with Tenenbom's Inc. to form a single corporation. There are eight Tenenbom stores in the Quad-Cities, Clinton and Dubuque. The transaction does not involve the Davenport Geifman food stores, which are owned by another company.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Twenty some years ago, John Mendoza of Moline sent in a box top and 50 cents to get his first magic trick. Today, the former Moliner is a professional magician. Mendoza will present two homecoming performances at 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday in Galvin Fine Arts Center, St. Ambrose College. Mendoza has put together one of the biggest and most elaborate illusion shows to hit the entertainment world.
Back: Available days in August 2002