Day in history for August 30, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Quite a number of St. Louisans and their families who have been sojourning for the past several weeks in the Rock Island House have returned south now that the summer heat is almost over. The St. Louis party left Rock Island on the steamer Danube yesterday.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- William Rinck is putting up a new front in his grocery store.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- ``Spiritual Sunshine'' was the topic of a sermon at the First Methodist Church by the Rev. R.B. Williams.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Mrs. Estelle Mandeville, Davenport, former head of the voice department, has been appointed dean of the Augustana Conservatory of Music.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Announcement of the grand opening of the New York Store's new teen-age fashion center has been made by Charles Osheroff, advertising manager. Four Moline girls will serve on the college fashion board. Representing Augustana College will be Nancy Drake. From the University of Iowa will be JoAnn Evans. From Moline High School, Darlene George, and from the University of Illinois, Marian Osheroff.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- The Des Moines Register and Tribune Co. completed acquisition of television station WQAD in Moline. The sellers were a group of investors in the Quad-Cities. They have owned the station since it went on the air in 1963. The sale price was about $10 million.
Back: Available days in August 2002