Day in history for August 3, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The common garden wormwood has in past years been used by many families as a preventive of summer sickness, and as they believe, with decided benefit. Bruise a few leaves and drink the cold infusion before breakfast.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Sixteen men signed the constitution of the Rock Island Boat Club. Officers are Ben Cable, T.J. Rodman and D.W. Heath.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- J.C. Pentland resigned as physical director of the Rock Island YMCA.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- William W. Tucker assumed office as the new superintendent of Henry County schools.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- The second report of a flying saucer being seen in Davenport was received last night by Davenport police. Clarence Kaskadden reported seeing a large bright object approximately 600 feet in the air near the intersection of Telegraph Road and North Fairmount Street shortly after 11:30 p.m. It turned green, then red and finally silver. When it turned silver, it looked like a circle of stars. The lights would fade out for a moment and then return very bright.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. Charles Fiers of Colona bid $137.50 for a two-holer outhouse at the Henry County Fair. The couple, who operate Fiers Plumbing and Heating, Colona, plan to use the building in their advertising. A total of 27 sealed bids were submitted for the old-time privy, which was built especially for the fair.
Back: Available days in August 2002