Day in history for August 19, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The Rev. Mr. Lauderback of Davenport will conduct Episcopalian services in the Second Presbyterian Church of Rock Island next Sabbath at 4 p.m.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- The attraction at Dart's Hall tonight will be Selden Irwin playing the role of Colonel Sellers in ``The Gilded Age.''
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island businessmen have joined various organizations in extending an invitation to Elihue Root, secretary of war, to visit Rock Island on his western trip.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Twenty thousand people roared a welcome to Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh, the conqueror of the Atlantic, as he arrived at Moline Airport at 2:02 p.m. today. Additional thousands lined the parade route.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Every type of departed animal is laid to rest in the Sans Patrick pet cemetery on Route 6, about three miles east of the Quad-City Airport. Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth R. Johnson, Moline, are in charge of this burial place for deceased loved ones in the animal kingdom.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- The sale of Washington Square Park in Davenport to the Scott County Family Y will violate the wishes of one of the city's founders descendents of Antoine LeClaire, said a Scott County District Court suit. LeClaire's descendents said that in accepting the land from LeClaire in 1841, the city entered into a contract to maintain the gift as a public park.
Back: Available days in August 2002