Day in history for July 22, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The Democratic electors of Rock Island County are requested to hold meetings in their respective precincts for the purpose of appointing delegates to a county convention at the Rock Island courthouse Aug. 21. Rock Island is allowed six delegates, Moline and Camden, three; Cordova, Port Byron, Edgington and Hampton, 2; Drury and Illinois City, one.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Fred Hass has returned home from a business trip to Des Moines, the copper regions, and Pittsburgh.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- The Retail Merchants Association sponsored a train excursion to Elgin. Eight hundred Rock Island people made the trip.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Jack Dempsey, at 32, is on the high road of a sensational comeback after a stunning knockout victory over Jack Sharkey, 24.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Davenport aldermen studied plans for the city's sea wall project after Consulting Engineer William Romine said the plans are at the bid-calling stage. The proposed 17-foot wall of reinforced concrete will extend from Perry to Main streets.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- World famous tennis pro Arthur Ashe will headline an exhibition match at Moline's Wharton Field House Oct. 12 to raise funds for the Moline Public Hospital Auxiliary. Joining Ashe will be fellow pro Tom Okker and two outstanding stars on the women's circuit, 1977 Wimbledon finalist Betty Stove and South Africa's Brigette Cuypers.
Back: Available days in July 2002