Day in history for July 13, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Baxter, at the Post Office, has received the July magazines. We are indebted for a copy of Harper's, which is as usual well filled with interesting miscellany.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Fred Hass of Rock Island has won the contract to do the copper work on the Iowa capitol at Des Moines.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. W.S. Marquis returned to the pulpit of Broadway Presbyterian Church following his return from the Holy Land and Europe.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island city council decided not to grant carnival or circus permits during the remainder of the season.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- A new campaign to wipe out all traces of marijuana from Scott County will be launched by Sheriff C.H. Wildman's office. According to Sheriff Wildman, the weed has been found growing wild in the county. Deputies and weed commissioners in the county have been alerted to watch for the patches of the dope-producing plant and will work with property owners in destroying it.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- For a little while today, Dwight Palmer of Meersman Addition, East Moline, wondered if he had received a gift horse. He found the horse chained in his back yard when he got up this morning. A couple of hours later, a neighbor recognized the animal as ``Silver,'' owned by Harry Arvanis, who lives over half a mile from the Palmer home, and Arvanis walked over to retrieve it.
Back: Available days in July 2002