Day in history for July 10, 2002

1852 -- 150 years ago
Soldiers of the Black Hawk War now are entitled to 160 acres of bounty land, instead of 40.

1877 -- 125 years ago
George W. Platt, Rock Island artist, has returned from his work in the east and has opened a studio in the basement of the Trinity Episcopal Church rectory.

1902 -- 100 years ago
Horse cars still are running into Milan, despite the efforts of the village to stop them. Milan demands that the line be electrified, as other routes have been.

1927 -- 75 years ago
The first ordination service ever conducted in the First Christian Church in East Moline was held yesterday, when the Rev. Delaney Votaw was ordained as minister.

1952 -- 50 years ago
There will be no Orangemen's picnic this July 12 for the first time since the early 1870s. The decision was made by the few remaining members of the Orangemen's lodge of Preemption, sponsors of the celebration. The Orangemen are Irish Protestants who take their name from William of Orange, credited with delivering the British from the Catholicism of James II.

1977 -- 25 years ago
Chuck Klyber has been named one of the top 10 Executive Administrators in the United States by the American Association of Professional Executives. Klyber is a native of Illinois, born in Milan and raised in Rock Island and now resides in Springfield. He is presently the Executive Director of Illinois Association of Highway Engineers, Springfield.

Back: Available days in July 2002

Local events heading

  Today is Monday, April 21, the 111th day of 2014. There are 254 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The female sex seems to have gone crazy on the subject of dry goods. When high prices keep them from increasing their wardrobes, they turn to stealing. Yard goods, hats, shoes and other items are being picked up and carried home.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Members of Everts Commandery No. 18, Knights Templar, under Commander H.C. Cleaveland, marched from the Masonic Temple to Trinity Episcopal Church for their annual Easter services.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Nate Hultgren pitched the Augustana College baseball team to a 10-3 victory over Carthage, striking out 11 men and allowing only four hits.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Marvel Leonhardi, a Rock Island High School senior, was the winner of an essay contest on advertising sponsored by The Argus and Advertising Age, a national advertising publication.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The Augustana College band drew a crowd of 1,200 people for its annual home concert in Centennial Hall. The size of the crowd was indicative of the fact the band is rapidly approaching the stature of the Augustana Choir.
1989 -- 25 years ago: A benefit to raise money for extracurricular activities in the Rock Island Milan School District will be April 27 at the Quad City Downs harness race track. People buying $17.50 tickets to the second annual "Night at the Quad City Downs" will be entitled to an evening of harness racing and dinner.

(More History)