Day in history for June 29, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The body of DeWolf, one of the two men who drowned at the Moline dam, was recovered near Andalusia.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Forty Rock Island Masons went to Preemption to help institute a lodge there. The lodge was founded by H.C. Cleaveland of Rock Island, district organizer.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island is experiencing an unusual damp and cold spell. The growth of all vegetation has been seriously impeded. Corn is at a standstill.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Moose Lodge initiated 38 candidates at a meeting attended by 400 members.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- A costume parade Wednesday will be the highlight of activities sponsored by the East Moline playgrounds. Led by the United Township High School summer band, a large group of costumed children will parade from 12th Street to 8th Street on 15th Avenue, south on 8th Street to 16th Avenue and east on 16th Avenue to the East Moline city hall where prizes will be given. Awards will be presented for the most original, the most clever and the most beautiful costumes.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Elliott Flying Service was given a one-year deadline to transfer its operations to the south side of the Quad-City Airport by the Metropolitan Airport Authority. The shift of Elliott's to the south side is part of an overall plan to move all general aviation there, making way for construction of a new commercial terminal.
Back: Available days in June 2002