Day in history for June 21, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Democratic candidates for the national presidential election have been selected. Presidential nominee is Franklin Pierce of New Hampshire. Presidential elector for the Sixth district is Joseph Knox of Rock Island.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Seventy carloads of munitions have been shipped and 400 more carloads will come to Rock Island Arsenal from the St. Louis Arsenal, which is being discontinued.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- As a result of a contest, Miss Bessie Gilmore will be Rock Island's queen at an Elks carnival to be held in Davenport.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- George J. Scheuermann announced today that he and his wife will finance the erection of a $200,000 apartment building at 24th Street Place, south of 12th Avenue, Moline. Work was begun today.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Two East Moline men were fined $25 each by Magistrate Lawrence Bobb in Silvis police court for allegedly fishing too close to the Hampton dam. Those arrested and fined are Mike Cankity and Bob Spuler.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Drivers will get faster service at license examining stations, when Illinois starts issuing new photo licenses which require only minutes to process. In the past, renewals and new licenses have taken up to a month to go through the mail, but the photo licenses will be ready for drivers while they wait, an estimated 20 minutes for renewals, a little longer for whose who must take written or road tests.
Back: Available days in June 2002