Day in history for June 13, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- A message was received from the Mayor recommending that a permanent dam be constructed by Rock Island in connection with the Plank Road Company, across the slough opposite Ferguson's.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Peter Farrell commenced laying bricks on J.B. Cargill's new building, opposite the jail, this morning.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island library board is in receipt of an additional $10,000 gift from Frederick Weyerhaeuser for the building fund. He previously had given $10,000 and has loaned the board $50,000. F.C.A. Denkmann recently added $2,500 toward the enterprise.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Nearly three hundred golfers used the new Saukie golf course as the first nine holes were opened for play.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- A pair of swans disappeared from the lawn of the H.D. Albietz home, 4220 12th St., Rock Island, last night. They probably did not float away during last night's heavy rainstorm because they are of the concrete type.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- The last of the Quad-City area barber shops have raised their prices to $4 a cut and few people seem to mind. Harley W. Hancock, owner of All Service Barber Shop, Moline, says fewer people have objected to this increase than any he can remember. The barber shops increased their minimum prices from $3.50 to $4 in the past month, following arbitration by Barbers Local 113, boosting the minimum wage to $2.80 an hour.
Back: Available days in June 2002