Day in history for May 7, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The men who have the contract to build the Rock River railroad bridge have arrived in the city. It is assumed they will commence operations immediately.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- The Argus criticized three United States Army generals, sent here to report on water power in the Mississippi, for stopping in Davenport. Rock Island has the finest hotel west of Chicago.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Women who met in the home of Mrs. Ben T. Cable set May 17 as the date they would receive contributions for improving 12th Street from 18th Avenue to Chippiannock Cemetery.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- The new home of Rock Island Elks was dedicated. The building, at 220 19th St., was formerly the home of the Rock Island Club.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Work was started this morning on erection of a large sign advertising Rock Island as the ``Hub of the Quad-Cities,'' on the roof of the Rock Island waterworks pumping station at the foot of 24th Street.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Workmen discovered a small marble tombstone in digging into the west wall of the Rock Island County Courthouse. The 8 by 24-inch slate gray tombstone bearing the name of Lucille and no other markings was found in a section of the basement wall which is being removed to provide for installation of a new courthouse elevator. Officials are assuming that the present courthouse erected in 1897 may have been erected on a site formerly used as burial grounds.
Back: Available days in May 2002