Day in history for May 4, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The river at this point is about on a stand, the water for the last two days rising very little, if any. The Mississippi above, and all its tributaries are reported very high and at last account rising rapidly. The prospects are that we are to have high water for some time to come.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Mayor Butler is on a pleasure trip by steamboat to St. Paul.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- The United Christian political party held its annual convention for the second time at Watch Tower Park, Rock Island, to nominate a candidate for president of the United States. The delegates ask for the removal of the capital from Washington to the Rock Island Arsenal tract.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Judge W.T. Church returned a decision in the town of Reynolds election contest, declaring the Citizen ticket candidates elected.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- A decision to push construction of an off-street parking garage in Market Square, to be financed by revenue bonds, was announced today by Mayor Melvin L. McKay of Rock Island. He said R.C. Sandberg, Rock Island architect, has been directed to prepare sketches of suitable structures which could be erected on the north half of the square.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- A 23-year-old woman thwarted an attempt by three youths to burglarize her residence in Rock Island shortly before 6 last evening and managed to hit one of them on the head with a broom.
Back: Available days in May 2002