Day in history for May 26, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island County Bar Association held a special meeting to pass resolutions in the death of James Brackett, Esq. The lawyers will attend the funeral and will wear the usual badge of mourning.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Fifteen members of the Rock Island Athletic Club subscribed $10 to $15 each to organize a boat club.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- The G.A.R. and other patriotic organizations held Sunday Memorial week services in Central Presbyterian Church.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Fred A. Cordell, street car operator, was held up and robbed for the second time at the end of his line.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Silvis firemen are wondering what has happened to an electric refrigerator, which they have been using in their meeting room in the basement of city hall. Who moved the refrigerator, where it was taken, and when, are factors in the mystery, which are puzzling the firemen and members of the police department, who have been notified of the theft.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- It took Deere And Co. 124 years to produce a billion-dollar sales year in 1966, and just 11 more to produce sales of $1 billion in a single quarter. The farm equipment giant today reported sales of $1.012 billion for its current fiscal year's second quarter, ended April 30. It is a 12 percent increase from the same quarter of fiscal 1976, and the first billion-dollar quarter in the company's 135-year history.
Back: Available days in May 2002