Day in history for May 25, 2002

1852 -- 150 years ago
The schooner Uncle John is quite a curiosity, and in these days of lightning and fast packets, a decided object of interest, carrying us back in imagination to the early days of river navigation, when a journey of three or four hundred miles up the river took more time than a voyage now to Europe.

1877 -- 125 years ago
Colonel Stephenson of Galena arrived to inspect steamboats for the United States government. He is a guest at the Harper House.

1902 -- 100 years ago
The Retail Grocers Association of Quincy brought 800 people to Rock Island for a day at Watch Tower Park.

1927 -- 75 years ago
Discovery of a huge bootleg alcohol plant on a farm five miles from Silvis may provide a clue to the recent death of a man from mystery burns.

1952 -- 50 years ago
Alderman Ray O'Brien dropped a verbal bomb in the laps of Davenport's councilmen. He charged that an alleged house of ill fame was operating in Davenport apparently with the sanction of the city council. He learned of the existence several weeks ago when FBI agents seized a Rock Island man in Odessa, Texas, on charges of Mann Act activities in Davenport.

1977 -- 25 years ago
Mrs. Charles Deere Wiman, widow of the former Deere And Co. president, left an estate worth $18 million after taxes and other settlement expenses, court records indicate. Mrs. Wiman died June 17, 1976 at her winter home in Santa Barbara, Calif.

Back: Available days in May 2002



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, Oct. 2, the 275th day of 2014. There are 90 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The ladies have adopted the fashion of wearing representations of insects in the flowers on their bonnets. Some look very natural.
1889 -- 125 years ago: T.F. Cary, former Rock Island alderman, has accepted a position as salesman for a Chicago wallpaper house and plans to move to that city.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Work on the new telephone building on 18th Street between 6th and 7th avenues is progressing rapidly.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Rock Island's new theater at 3rd Avenue and 19th Street will have a name significant of its location. The "Rocket" is scheduled to open Thanksgiving Day.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Two of Rock Island's newest water towers were vandalized last night, including the one at 38th Street and 31st Avenue, where police took five Moline boys into custody about 9 p.m..
1989 -- 25 years ago: Some of us who live in the Quad-Cities take the Mississippi River for granted, or at least we used to. But the river is not taken for granted by our visitors. And most Quad-Citians are realizing the importance of the river to this area as increased emphasis is placed on tourism.







(More History)