Day in history for May 18, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- To prevent rot in potatoes drop a gill of slacked lime upon the seed just before covering. Many farmers in this vicinity have practiced this for several years and have found lime better than charcoal dust or ashes.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- A census shows Rock Island has 73 saloons, whereas Galesburg gets along well with only 9 drinking places.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- The play ``The Chaperones'' drew a large audience to the Illinois Theater last night.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Fines totaling $3,000 and jail sentences of 18 months were imposed on four defendents in liquor bootlegging cases before the county court.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Leo Rothschild, president of the L. Rothschild Company department store at 1723-25-27 2nd Avenue, announced that Rock Island's new store will open at 9:30 Thursday morning. Mr. Rothschild said: ``Rock Island is a progressive, growing city with need for another good department store to help meet the needs of the city and surrounding community.''
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- While the old Black store building in Hampton may take a good deal of restorative work, it is well worth preserving for the community, according to a consultant who inspected the 1848 structure. The Hampton Historical Society accepted the deed to the building Sept. 14, 1976 from Mr. and Mrs. Lester Stone and is currently raising money to finance restoration.
Back: Available days in May 2002