Day in history for April 30, 2002

1852 -- 150 years ago
A city election has been called for May 22 on a proposal to increase Rock Island's purchase of shares in the Rock Island And Chicago railroad by $20,000 and to raise the rate of interest on bonds from 6 to 10 percent.

1877 -- 125 years ago
The Geneseo House, operated by William Miller and sons, Ira and Burd, was destroyed by fire at midnight. The fire started in the kitchen.

1902 -- 100 years ago
Chicago newspapermen were guests of the Tri-City Press Club. The three meals of the day were served to the club and guests at the Harper House, the Rock Island Club, and Black Hawk Inn at Watch Tower Park.

1927 -- 75 years ago
The Rock Island chamber of commerce began collecting funds for relief of flood victims in the lower Mississippi Valley.

1952 -- 50 years ago
It could have happened to anyone. Unfortunately, however, the student bus driver who struck a parked truck on Grant Street, Bettendorf, turned out to be one of three women hired yesterday by Davenport City Lines, Inc.

1977 -- 25 years ago
Josephson's Jewelers of Moline, founded in 1881 by a Swedish immigrant, is mentioned in this month's national Jewelers Magazine as ``a giant in the retail jewelry business.'' The store recently completed a restoration program, using the original counters to form a horseshoe pattern in the selling area, much the way the store looked at the turn of the century.

Back: Available days in April 2002




Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2014. There are 105 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: We are told league merchants have paid no attention to the prohibition on selling ammunition, but continue to sell just as before the order was issued.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rev. R.F. Sweet, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish, left for the East to visit his boyhood home in Boston before attending the general convention of the Episcopal Church in New York.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Dr. E.A. Anderson was named to succeed Dr. E.L. Kerns as head physician of the Modern Woodmen of America, and moved to Rock Island from Holdingford, Minn.
1939 -- 75 years ago: One week late, because of the outbreak of war, Dr. E.L. Beyer resumed his work as professor of romance languages at Augustana College. Dr. and Mrs. Beyer left Germany on the last train to the Belgian border.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Employees in Turnstyle stores in Moline and Davenport will vote Oct. 2 in an election set up by the Chicago regional office of the National Labor Relations Board. Employees will vote either for the Retail Clerk International or for no union.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island High School is considering a step to help teen moms stay in school and get their diploma. The school board is expected to vote tonight on instituting an on-site child care center.


(More History)