Day in history for April 25, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The Blakely family, a celebrated company of vocalists, gave a concert in the courthouse last night.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Three nobby young men took Johnny Weyerhaeuser's yacht down river, but didn't understand the workings of the blame thing. They had to foot it home and hire two men to go get the yacht at the mouth of the Rock River.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- M. Kohn was elected president of B'nai Jacob congregation and Simon Lewis of the Beth Israel synagogue.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- A hundred persons will attend a dinner to be given by Rock Island for the visiting legislators who come to inspect Watch Tower, which may be bought by Illinois and become a state park.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- In observance of its 50th anniversary, the Milan Independent published a large golden anniversary edition and will hold open house at its offices in Milan. The public is invited to the open house by the publishers, Mr. and Mrs. O.D. Kendall.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Eileen Olson was late for work Tuesday night, but has no regrets, Carl Hedden is alive today and that's all that counts. Mrs. Olson, a Sherrard resident and nurse, was on her way to work when she spied Hedden, 36, of Fyre Lake, unconscious in a car that had spun into a ditch. After watching several cars race past on the highway, she ran to a nearby farmhouse where she called the Sherrard Volunteer Ambulance Service.
Back: Available days in April 2002