Day in history for March 9, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday afternoon, about 4 o'clock, this vicinity was visited by a severe hailstorm.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- The Argus thermometer registered 25 degrees above zero at 7 o'clock this morning.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Rev. G.B. Simons, pastor of the First Baptist Church, Rock Island, accepted a call to Indianola, Iowa.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island YMCA bought the old Kemble Public School and playground adjoining the Y property on the west.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- This is a little basketball drama with two scenes: Scene 1. The Galesburg regional high school tournament. Coach Bill Heerde directed his Knoxville team to a 49 to 42 win over Cambridge. Much excitement. Scene 2. The Heerde home in Knoxville. Also much excitement. Mrs. Marie Harris, who was babysitting, watched the Moline-Rock Island game on television. Dorothy Heerde, 5-year-old daughter of the coach, listened to a radio account of the Knoxville-Cambridge contest. Jane Heerde, 2, toddled into the bathroom and turned the lock. Firemen were called. They freed Jane by breaking down the door.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- The mobile news van and two staff people of WQUA Radio, Moline, are featured in color pictures on the cover of the current Broadcast Engineering, a broadcast-communications trade magazine published in Overland, Kan. Peter Burk of WQUA staff wrote the magazine story, which accompanies the cover pictures.
Back: Available days in March 2002