Day in history for March 7, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The Argus notes that the Chicago Tribune of yesterday said that the Detroit Free Press of three days ago said: ``Louis Napoleon of France stabbed; Paris in state of siege; great internal commotion.''
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Milan voted, 112 to 2, to keep its special charter, which limits 50 cents on $100 valuation the tax which the Milan council may levy. The proposed charter which was defeated would have allowed taxes ten times as high.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island High School debaters have challenged Davenport. The subject, ``Resolved, that the federal government should irrigate the arid lands of the west rather than to leave the enterprise to private capital.''
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- A delegation of citizens asked the board of education to build a school in the southwest district of Rock Island.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Carolyn Becker, Rock Island, 21-year-old senior at the University of Miami, Coral Gables, has been chosen as cover girl for the Hurricane, the University's publication.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- A lot of heat is expected to be generated when the subject of nuclear power is aired during a public hearing sponsored by Citizens for Safe Energy, a group formed after the utility firm began purchasing property in the Erie area two years ago. The firm now owns 3,000 acres and has indicated an interest in purchasing an additional 1,800 acres south of Erie for a power plant.
Back: Available days in March 2002