Day in history for March 26, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- A new vein of coal has been discovered in the bluffs this side of Camden (Milan). The newly discovered coal seems fully equal to the best coal in Rock Island County.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island had the first gas works, macadamized streets, railroad, daily paper, power press, street railroad, and waterworks. It is ahead of its neighbors in public works, but in some respects Rock Island is behind Davenport, which has an opera house, academy for young ladies, academy of sciences, hospital, and a home for fallen women. Moline is ahead in public lectures and fine school and church buildings.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- A minister says he always refuses, in reading the marriage ceremony, to ask the bride to promise to obey. He doesn't think it is right to do so.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Oliver P. Olson and Mrs. A.P. Lindstrom, twins, celebrated their 75th birthday.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Ten huge red, white and blue trailers of the Alert America caravan pulled into Rock Island to herald the opening of the 3-day exhibit of the convoy in Rock Island Armory. Bearing a dramatic message of the dangers faced by America, and the need of civil defense measures, the caravan is expected to be viewed by thousands.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Former Moliner Gary Donohue and his wife, Carolyn Paulus Donohue, have the leading roles in a production of Brigadoon, being given by the Civic Theater in Fort Wayne, Ind.
Back: Available days in March 2002