Day in history for March 13, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Henry County Democrats, in convention at Cambridge, endorsed Stephen A. Douglas of Illinois for president and David L. Gregg for governor.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Friends of Joseph Conet, proprietor of the Bellows House in Rock Island, will give him a complimentary ball March 22.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Colonel Brackett Circle, Ladies of the G.A.R., was instituted in Memorial Hall in the courthouse. The ladies will help the men plan the forthcoming Rock Island encampment of Illinois Civil War Veterans.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Policemen Otto Johnson and Tom Raisbeck were injured when a motorcycle upset as they were on their way to the hospital to see Officer William J. McCarthy, a wounded comrade.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Police are seeking an ambitious thief who carried off an eagle. The thief had a tussle on his hands because the eagle, the cast iron variety, weighs 200 pounds. Hyman Weindruch, Eagle Supermarket manager, said the heavy bird was taken from in front of the store at 2633 11th St., Rock Island.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- East Moline water may not look or taste good, but it is safe to drink, water department officials say. Lanny Green, water department superintendent, said a mechanical breakdown in the water plant's settling basin two months ago is preventing removal of mud from the tank. Until the foot of ice atop the open settling tank thaws, the apparatus cannot be repaired.
Back: Available days in March 2002