Day in history for March 10, 2002

1852 -- 150 years ago
W.T. Norris advertises that he will sell his entire stock of dry goods at cost. The goods includes French merinoes, alpacas, muslin de laines, ginghams, calicoes, cassimeres, satinets, flannels, linseys, checks, drillings, and muslins.

1877 -- 125 years ago
William P. Butler was elected mayor of Rock Island as the candidate of both parties. Five Republican and five Democratic aldermen were elected. The two parties are almost equally divided in the total of their votes.

1902 -- 100 years ago
The ferry T.J. Robinson today resumed its regular schedule after a winter in dry dock. The ferry has been provided with a new whistle more in keeping with its dignity than was the whistle used last season.

1927 -- 75 years ago
Augustana College was ordered closed for several days following the death of Paul Munson, a student, of scarlet fever. Three other students are ill of the disease.

1952 -- 50 years ago
Repairs are to start in the near future on the 18th Street canopy of the Como Hotel, Rock Island, which partially collapsed on one side. Earl F. Aubrey, operator of the hotel, said the cause of the mishap is being investigated. The canopy did not drop completely to the sidewalk and no one was hurt.

1977 -- 25 years ago
Jesse Adams, young Rock Island artist, will have his first one-man show in the Quad-Cities in Wiese Fine Arts Building at the Davenport Art Gallery. The show will include 25 of Adams' works.

Back: Available days in March 2002

Local events heading

  (More History)