Day in history for February 24, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The movement for building a plank road from Rock Island to the bluffs south of Rock River is well under way.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- John H. Cook, a well-known railroad man for some time in the service of the St. Louis, Rock Island And Chicago railroad, was appointed station agent of the road in St. Louis. He was a boarder at the Harper House during his stay in Rock Island.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- The Illinois Independent Telephone Company, recently given a franchise to operate in Rock Island, filed a $5,000 indemnifying bond with Mayor Knox.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Eighty-six men organized a Community Bible Class at the Y.W.C.A. in Rock Island.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- When city employees begin painting Rock Island's fire hydrants different colors this spring, it won't be because they're color blind. They'll be carrying out a directive from acting Chief Charles J. Wahlheim designed to take guesswork out of tapping onto fire hydrants in case of fires. It seems that while all hydrants are the same size above ground, they don't all tap onto the same size mains.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Although few people have complained, noise levels at the Quad City Airport may have to be reduced to meet proposed regulations filed with the Illinois Pollution Control Board. Armin Grossell, operations manager at the airport, said local officials are in the midst of a study on noise, but do not know yet whether the levels are in violation of the proposed standards.
Back: Available days in February 2002