Day in history for February 1, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Fifteen gentlemen are on the committee of arrangements for the ladies supper to be served by the men at Lee And Whisler's Hall.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Sparrows mate during February. If you want to attract these birds to your property, put up boxes filled with hay, cotton and feathers.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Taxes that residents of Rock Island County must pay in 1902 will total $577,248 or $37,000 more than for 1901.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island Kiwanis Club endorsed the movement to have the state buy Watch Tower Park.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Officials of the Geifman Supermarket, 2125 11th St., Rock Island, this morning breathed a sigh of relief shortly after learning of a break-in at the store some time last night. They were thankful the prowlers were considerate enough not to damage a 1,300-pound cake placed in the store as part of the firm's silver anniversary observance this afternoon.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- On Feb. 11, there will be quite a reunion in Augustana College Centennial Hall. Susann McDonald of Rock Island, one of the top harpists in the world, will be coming home to be soloist with the Tri-City Symphony. The talented young Rocky High girl who played harp with the Symphony has gone on to become head, at present, of four prestigious harp departments, the Juilliard School in New York, the University of Arizona, the University of Southern California and California State University.
Back: Available days in February 2002