Day in history for January 5, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Much has been said in recent years about methods of teaching. The analytic plan is the best. Rock Island ought to divide the two schools in District 1 so that younger children would be in one school and older ones in the other. Parents should encourage their children to go to school.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- A pleasant drive behind good horses pulling a sleigh is to Linwood, Iowa, on the ice. Rock Island parties take the ice road every night for merry oyster suppers at Wood's Hotel there.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Sisters of St. Anthony's Hospital will make their annual calls for subscriptions next week.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Alderman George E. Bartholomew was elected for the seventh time as president of the Izaak Walton League.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- An order, directing all citizens who are maintaining advertising signs, boards, or similar objects on city-owned boulevards to remove them immediately, has been issued by Moline Police Chief Harry Fromme.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Vlademeire, 6-week-old half Labrador and Irish Setter, acquired by Mr. and Mrs. Rick Hawotte, 3146 10th St., Rock Island, on New Year's Eve, has good reason to be wagging his tail today. The little dog was rescued from the furnace in the basement of the Hawotte home after he had fallen through a hot air wall register in the kitchen.
Back: Available days in January 2002