Day in history for January 31, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Our representative to congress, Thompson Campbell, is urging congress to establish daily river mail between St. Louis and Galena.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Since 1816 hundreds of steamboats have blown up on western rivers and 3,783 persons have been killed by the explosions.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Officers of the Illinois G.A.R. are in Rock Island and have fixed the dates for the state encampment of Civil War Union Veterans here as May 20-22. The convention will bring 2,100 delegates to the city.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- The Izaak Walton League of Rock Island and Moline endorsed a proposal to make Watch Tower a state park.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- How many of you write 15 letters in a week, or 800 letters a year? Writing letters is the hobby of Betty Gritten, a newer Orion High School council member. The 16-year old junior is the oldest of five children and does her share of the farm work in the summer. During the school year, she manages to major in mathematics and stay perennially on the honor roll.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- State Department of Transportation officials are hoping construction can start in mid-summer or before on the new bridge over Green River on Poppy Garden Road. An application has been filed with the Corps of Engineers for a permit to channelize about 250 feet of Green River in connection with the project. An early estimate was that the bridge would cost about $750,000.
Back: Available days in January 2002