Day in history for January 26, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- The population of counties in this congressional district: Rock Island, 6,937; Whiteside, 5,361; Mercer, 5,246; Henry, 3,807; Stark, 3,710.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Urchins with coasters who hitch on to horsedrawn sleds can be a nuisance, but some good natured farmers invited the boys to ``pile on.''
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Independent telephone companies have been organized to serve Rapids City, Port Byron, Reynolds and Hillsdale.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Royal Neighbors of America are planning a new national headquarters building in Rock Island.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Mrs. William Butterworth has presented Moline Girl Scouts with a gift of 150 shares of Deere And Co. stock, income from which will amount to between $650 and $750 a year. Mrs. Butterworth stipulates that this amount is to be used in any useful manner. The gift was announced at the annual Girl Scout dinner held at the First Methodist Church, Moline.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- The state says it has no idea when work can begin to replace the ``deathtrap'' Rock River bridge over Ill. 84 leading into Green Rock. The bridge, carrying more than 10,000 vehicles a day on a narrow span between two curving approaches, provides the only access and exit to Interstate 80 east of Silvis and Carbon Cliff. With the I-80 and Ill. 2-92 interchange closed northeast of Barstow, traffic is shunted to the Cleveland interchange near here.
Back: Available days in January 2002