Day in history for January 24, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. McNeil will commence a school in the upper room of the schoolhouse in District No. 2 on the 27th.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- The national debt, under the Republicans, has grown to more than $2 million.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- The new Illinois Theater at 2nd Avenue and 16th Street has been sold to a Rock Island company headed by Phil Mitchell and T.J. Medill.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Harold Lloyd is starring in the movie ``The Big Brother'' at the Fort Armstrong Theater.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- Ronnie Wahe, 16, Davenport, who fell almost three floors when an iron stairway collapsed, was released from the hospital. The youth escaped with body bruises and a rib fracture. Wahe, an employee of the Davenport Furniture Company, fell after the stairway in the rear of the Norma Apartment House, 219 Harrison St., collapsed. He was delivering a small, 10-pound box.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- At ages 10 and 6, the granddaughters of a Moline couple are professional models in Florida. The grandparents are Mr. and Mrs. Harry deLeon and the girls are Gabrielle and Rachael Stallings of Spring Hill, Fla. Gabrielle, now 10, started her modeling career at age 3 when she appeared in a promotional-type picture for a Florida store. Rachael, who is now 6, began modeling when she was 2 years old. Rachael also has been featured in a number of publications and on several calendars.
Back: Available days in January 2002