Day in history for January 19, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- H.A. Porter offers for sale India rubber toys for children, India rubber teething rings, rubber garters and other fancy goods.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Miss Cora Valentine has been appointed principal of the Rock Island High School, Mrs. Everett having resigned.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Smallpox has been spread from Davenport to Rock Island by visitors from the other side of the river. The two houses in which smallpox has broken out are under strict quarantine.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Two companies which produce motion pictures in Rock Island, the Art Anima Studio and Garnet Productions, have merged.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- The way was cleared for possible future expansion and repairs of the Iowa-Illinois Memorial Bridge between Bettendorf and Moline, following the announcement that an enabling bill had been introduced in congress. The bill would seek U.S. approval of plans that the local commission has for the future of the bridge. A second span between the two cities to speed 1-way traffic has been rumored.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- No mail was destroyed, but fire spreading from the rear room of the Erie Post Office caused $10,000 damage to Masonic Lodge offices on the building's upper floor and $2,000 damage to postal equipment. Fire Chief Darrell Spaid said it is uncertain what caused the blaze, which began about 2 p.m. and burned for an hour before being brought under control.
Back: Available days in January 2002