Day in history for January 16, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- Nathan Belcher of this county will be one of the Whig party delegates to the Whig national convention.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- Davenport, like Rock Island, has awakened to the fact that something must be done about the gangs of rowdies who make life miserable for decent people. A Davenport gang assaulted a policeman yesterday.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- For the first time at Augustana College, graduates will wear cap and gown at commencement next June, the class decided. Senior men now are carrying canes.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Jacob Ohlweiler, Sr., who came to Rock Island from Germany in 1848 after taking part in a revolution for a republic, died.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- A new Rock Island department store, to be called Rothschild's will open soon at 1723-25-27 2nd Ave. The tentative grand opening is scheduled between March 15 and April 1. The store manager will be Harry C. Scherer, veteran Rock Island retailer and former manager of McCabe's.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- Geifman Food Stores, one of the Quad-Cities major supermarket chains, will develop a new retail outlet in the former AAndP Food Store in Moline's King Plaza Shopping Center. Morris Geifman, Davenport, president and chairman of the board, revealed acquisition of the former AAndP Store. Manager of the new Geifman store will be Clifford Bearden, Davenport, who has been affiliated with the chain's retail operations for many years.
Back: Available days in January 2002