PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Day in history for January 13, 2002

1852 -- 150 years ago
We have no other objection to the communication of ``Rock River'' except failure to inform us of the real name. We make it an invariable rule not to publish any communication upon any subject whatever, unless accompanied by a responsible signature.

1877 -- 125 years ago
A. Henry sold half his interest in his livery stable on 3rd Ave., Rock Island, and purchased the Central house in Davenport.

1902 -- 100 years ago
Frank Donnelly, manager of the Rock Island baseball team, announced the team for 1902 was practically complete.

1927 -- 75 years ago
Friends of M.H. Sexton of Rock Island, president of the National Association of Professional Baseball Clubs, are booming him for the presidency of the American League.

1952 -- 50 years ago
A rigorous investigation into the cause of the third three-alarm fire to strike Davenport in four weeks was underway at the flame-ravaged Ladies Industrial Relief Society, 115 W. 6th St. The fire swept the top floor, attic and roof of the 2-story brick and stone building for two hours before Davenport firemen brought it under control.

1977 -- 25 years ago
The Henry County Board is considering the eventual abandonment and even demolition of the old red brick courthouse annex. The structure, built at least 100 years ago to house the county jail and sheriff's living quarters, is considered to be too small and too dilapidated for the purpose it serves now.

Back: Available days in January 2002




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)