Day in history for January 13, 2002
- 1852 -- 150 years ago
- We have no other objection to the communication of ``Rock River'' except failure to inform us of the real name. We make it an invariable rule not to publish any communication upon any subject whatever, unless accompanied by a responsible signature.
- 1877 -- 125 years ago
- A. Henry sold half his interest in his livery stable on 3rd Ave., Rock Island, and purchased the Central house in Davenport.
- 1902 -- 100 years ago
- Frank Donnelly, manager of the Rock Island baseball team, announced the team for 1902 was practically complete.
- 1927 -- 75 years ago
- Friends of M.H. Sexton of Rock Island, president of the National Association of Professional Baseball Clubs, are booming him for the presidency of the American League.
- 1952 -- 50 years ago
- A rigorous investigation into the cause of the third three-alarm fire to strike Davenport in four weeks was underway at the flame-ravaged Ladies Industrial Relief Society, 115 W. 6th St. The fire swept the top floor, attic and roof of the 2-story brick and stone building for two hours before Davenport firemen brought it under control.
- 1977 -- 25 years ago
- The Henry County Board is considering the eventual abandonment and even demolition of the old red brick courthouse annex. The structure, built at least 100 years ago to house the county jail and sheriff's living quarters, is considered to be too small and too dilapidated for the purpose it serves now.
Back: Available days in January 2002