Day in history for December 6, 2001

1851 -- 150 years ago
Major F. Wilson, Dr. A.G. Brackett, E. Gilmore, Jr., Lieutenant John Buford, James T. Bean, F.S. Nichols and J.W. Drury are on the committee for the fancy dress ball to be held Christmas eve in the city hall.

1876 -- 125 years ago
There were 80 arrivals at the Taylor House, mostly farmers coming in to attend the meeting of the county grange.

1901 -- 100 years ago
William B. Leeds will succeed W.G. Purdy as president of the Rock Island Lines.

1926 -- 75 years ago
Improvements in the Rock Island district of United States Engineers for the coming year were estimated at $2,225,000.

1951 -- 50 years ago
No ``Young Man of the Year'' in Rock Island will be selected this year. It would be unfair to the city's outstanding young men fighting in Korea to select anyone for the honor. It was observed that instead of choosing one man for the annual title, all of Rock Island's servicemen could fall into the ``Young Men of the Year'' category.

1976 -- 25 years ago
At first, the announcement made it sound like the demise of Cambridge's famed nickel cup of coffee. But loyal lunch counter patrons of Swan's store soon learned that the recent price increase to 15 cents applies only to coffee served by a waitress to seated customers. Klatchers still can get a five-cent cup if they help themselves.

Back: Available days in December 2001



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)